Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Camel cut and more Series III maintenance


Time for the camel cut, I basically marked 4.5 cm on the bottom of the rear panel and cut as nicely as I could with a dremel, doesn’t look too bad, if I must say so:



Also, the old tires look good on the old truck:
 
Then the first mayor “procedure” on the Series, valves adjustment, coolant replacement, temp sensor replacement, air cleaner, belts and so on, basically the top of the engine maintenance. Of course with a truck like this things are *never* easy.


To start with, once I had everything apart, I realized that Paddock had sent me the wrong gasket, I sourced one locally but they were nice enough to acknowledge their mistake and reimburse me.


Then, when I got everything back together and put some water for an extra rinse (take a look at what it got out of this engine and how dirty the pipes are) I realized that the temp sensor wasn’t a match, instead of the typical 560794 this truck has a 484307 (Veglia Bressel) I’ll see if I can source one locally.




The good news is that the truck runs OK, better than before, less smoke, revs up nicely.

Also, to make things extra fun the bottom drain screw on the radiator got loose, well, not the screw, but the thing it screws into, so it leaks now… great, I’ll have to figure that one out too. Stay tuned…

Fun never ends with Land Rovers does it?