Monday, January 23, 2012

200K auto box maintenance

 The thing that scared me the most of the 200K maintenance was the auto box filter. I've heard so many stories about it... anyway, I am happy to report that all seems good and was able to complete it in less than 5 hours (not bad for my first time). There is no need to remove the cross member of the chassis on the 300Tdi although some swearing is needed... kind of a Tetris game, but whoever put this bolt here, deserves an award for incompetence, you need to get the screws out of the support for the transfer (very hard by the way) and move it a bit to undo it, they should have done the hole bigger on the plate so you can access it without removing it!


 

Make sure you have a torx T27 handy for the filter.


 The ATF change was well needed.


I put 4L. and one bottle of Lucas oil for auto boxes, I measured the oil I got out and was over 4L. probably 5 or so, so I think I may be spot on, I'll check the level in a few hours once all the thick Lucas oil goes down completely.