Saturday, April 28, 2007

Fixing rear door

This weekend has been more about spending time with my family than working on the RRC.
Although, I managed to fix the annoying problem with one of the rear doors, which wouldn't open from outside unless you tried 3 or 5 times.
Wasn't too bad, but I had to take the whole thing out to clean and adjust the rod properly. Now works great.
I've been driving the truck around town and all the work I've done recently seems to hold very well.
Anyway, more later....

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Axle oil and lock actuator

I checked axle oil level and not only was low, but black, very black.
So I change the oil in both axles at 51045 Miles (not real total millage).
Swivel housings are OK, they have grease and are not dry. Good enough for me, for now. I'll replace the grease at one point soon.
Also, I took the actuator from the drivers door out and checked it, big capacitor was toasted, replaced it with something I had around, but not quite working properly, so I decided to fix my actuator with a $2 fix.
I bought a double circuit switch from Radio Shack, +V and GND get in there, and depending on the position it goes either nowhere (central pos) , +V GND , or GND +V. It works. You need to be careful not to leave it on too long or the actuators on the doors will fry, but it *does* work for now. Good enough.

I put the headliner back on the sunroof, without the guides, guess what? it works great, so now I have my headliner back there too.

I need to change the oil, I'll do that soon.

Temp still good never over 1/2 so far.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Thermostat and temp sensors

This weekend I did refill to the right amount the auto transmission. It was a little over a quarter low, added the Lucas treatment too now it drives very smooth.
Check the tires, 2 were kind of low, I am trying with 30ish front 38ish rear.

I did replace all the temp sensors (the one for the ECU and the one for the instruments) with the thermostat. I found out the thermostat there was upside down and probably the wrong type. Other than making a pretty mess with coolant, pretty straightforward and kind of fun.

Refilled coolant and now it seems to work just great. Temp works as intended so I believe it was not overheating just bad reading on the temp sensor.

We'll see how all this holds up.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Rowher trail

Finally off road.

I thought I was not going to make it, because the fuel pump relay died on me Friday but I was able to find one at NAPA on Saturday.

So off we went, lots of fun and as a sample here are some pictures: